JPIAMR recognises a need to reinforce alignment of research. To promote this, the JPIAMR will establish a Virtual Research Institute in AMR (“the JPIAMR-VRI”) – a Global Network connecting research performing organisations, institutes, centres, and infrastructures. This Network call aims to identify research community needs and develop ideas to form the foundation for the JPIAMR-VRI.
The intent of the call is to form Networks of motivated groups to conceptualise and develop the JPIAMR-VRI. The Networks should identify research community needs, develop catalytic ideas and strategic plans to help bring the JPIAMR-VRI to Life!
Up to 21 Networks will be funded with up to 50,000 € each to connect experts from research performing organisations, institutes, centres and infrastructures and establish expertise clusters in the AMR community. Note that JPIAMR Network calls do not fund research projects.
Scope of the call
The JPIAMR-VRI will provide a platform to increase coordination, improve visibility of the AMR researcher base, facilitate knowledge exchange and capacity development across the globe, covering the full One Health spectrum.The JPIAMR-VRI is expected to:
- Connect AMR researchers across the JPIAMR priority topics in a One Health approach
- Build capacity and strengthen capability in AMR research
- Facilitate access to scientific information and infrastructures
- Bridge geographic borders in the research community through global reach
- Break practical barriers between geographies and fields of research
- Increase awareness and visibility of the issue of AMR and the importance of research in tackling this
- Encourage the use of scientific evidence to inform policy and guideline makers
Applicants are invited to form JPIAMR Networks that are expected to provide plans to develop the JPIAMR-VRI.
Suggested focal areas
JPIAMR Networks may tackle one or more of the suggested focal areas below. These examples are neither mandatory nor limiting. Network tasks should address needs at a National and International level, include Low and Middle Income Country (LMIC) aspects and consider the One Health approach.
Examples of Network focal areas could include, but are not limited to:
- Develop blueprints on: strategic focus, governance, funding/sustainability, infrastructure, engagement, implementation, the unique selling point of the JPIAMR-VRI, and/or addressing innovative “out of the box” ideas.
- Develop a Communication and Knowledge Translation Strategy.
- Develop a Partnerships Strategy to ensure key stakeholders, including industry and policy makers, and other networks are engaged and coordinate the alignment of other funded Networks.
- Develop a Strategic Action Plan on Training to identify opportunities for capacity building and strengthen capability, with a focus on young investigators.
- Develop a plan for a Global Platform for data sharing (e.g. clinical samples/data, scientific information and infrastructures including libraries or catalogues)
- Develop a Map of other funded Networks (e.g. current information on expertise, fields of interest, demographics, available technologies and resources)
Information & application
This call is closed.
A startup workshop for all funded networks from the two transnational network calls launched by JPIAMR in 2018, JPIAMR Network Call on Surveillance and JPIAMR-VRI Network Call 2018, was organised in Amsterdam, The Netherlands in February 2019. The workshop report can be found here: Startup workshop report 2018 JPIAMR Transnational Networks.
Filmed interviews with the coordinators of the funded JPIAMR Networks can be found here: Discover the JPIAMR-VRI: Interviews with network coordinators February 2019
Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR)
Academy of Scientific Research & Technology (ASRT)
French National Research Agency (ANR)
The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)
Ministry of Health (It-MOH)
The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development (ZonMw)
The Research Council of Norway (RCN)
Instituto de Salud Carlos III
Swedish Research Council (SRC)
Medical Research Council (MRC)
Eight networks were funded within the JPIAMR 2018 call for transnational networks “Building the Foundation of the JPIAMR Virtual Research Institute.” Each funded network received €50,000 to establish expertise clusters to identify research community needs and develop ideas to form the foundation for the JPIAMR Virtual Research Institute (JPIAMR-VRI). Click on the network titles in the list below to learn more on each network.