Nature-based solutions to reduce antibiotics, pathogens and antimicrobial resistance in aquatic ecosystems
This project will assess nature-based solutions (NBS) as management option for water treatment on the catchmentscale. An array of NBS including conventional and high-end constructed wetlands, river re-naturalization, and restoration of wetlands willcover the continuum from urban sources to coastal biota in estuaries. We propose a comprehensive quantification of the fate of ABs,pathogens, and AMR in these systems together with ecotoxicological and human health assessments. NBS performance will be analyzedusing multivariate modelling techniques to identify parameters with the greatest empirical influence on the attenuation of targetedpollutants. The NATURE project will encompass three interconnected phases: An experimental phase in which the reduction of aquaticpollutants will be evaluated in NBS and compared with reference sites. In a data modelling phase, diagnostic indicators (indicativeparameters from the first phase) will be identified for cost-effective future monitoring. In a risk assessment phase, the effect of aquaticpollutants on environment and human health will be evaluated, estimating its reduction due to NBS implementation. The uniquecombination of advanced approaches from analytical chemistry, molecular microbiology, modelling and ecotoxicology will be of paramountimportance for an accurate evaluation of NBS treatment performance. NATURE’s key objective is to promote the sustainable and greenattenuation of aquatic pollutants.
- Victor Matamoros, Consejo Superior Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC), Spain (Coordinator)
- Sidy Ba, École Nationale d’Ingénieurs – Abderhamane Baba Touré (ENI-ABT), Mali (Partner)
- Pedro Carvalho, University of Aarhus, Denmark (Partner)
- Rene Kilian, Kilian Water Ltd., Denmark (Partner)
- Jochen Mueller, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ, Germany (Partner)
- Marisa Almeida, CIIMAR-Interdisciplinary Centre of Marine and Environmental Research, Portugal (Partner)