The European Commission has adopted a proposal for a Council Recommendation on stepping up EU actions to combat antimicrobial resistance in a One Health approach, in which the future European partnership on One Health AMR (OH AMR) is highlighted. This proposal extends and complements the 2017 EU One Health Action Plan against AMR in all three dimensions of the One Health spectrum in order to maximize synergies and attain a strong and effective response against AMR across the EU.
The research and Innovation angle is reflected throughout the Council Recommendation. The proposal invites the Member States to strengthen support to R&D:
“The Council welcomes the Commission’s intention to and Member States are invited to: Support research and technological innovation for the detection, prevention and treatment of infections in humans caused by antimicrobial resistant pathogens, including the establishment of and significant investment in a European partnership to allow coordination, alignment and funding of cross-sectorial research and innovation on “One Health AMR”
It also call Member States to contributing to the efforts in tackling infectious diseases and AMR in low and middle-income countries, such as through the Global Health EDCTP3 JU.
The key objectives of this proposal for a Council Recommendation are:
- strengthen One Health national action plans on AMR
- reinforce surveillance and monitoring of AMR and antimicrobial consumption
- strengthen infection prevention and control
- strengthen antimicrobial stewardship and prudent use of antimicrobials
- recommend targets for AMR and antimicrobial consumption in human health
- improve awareness, education and training
- foster research & development, and incentives for innovation and access to antimicrobials and other AMR medical countermeasures
- increase cooperation
- enhance global actions