Spain is represented in the JPIAMR by the National Institute of Health Carlos III (Instituto de Salud Carlos III/ISCIII) and the Directorate General for Scientific and Technical Research of the Ministry of Economy and Competiveness (MINECO).
ISCIII is the main funding agency for health research, especially for translational and clinical research. ISCIII programmes include funding for projects, research networks (based on public hospitals, public health institutions and public research institutions), thematic research foundations and human resources. MINECO is the main funding organization for basic and applied research in several related disciplines including Biomedicine, Molecular Biology, Life Sciences, Biotechnology, and Agriculture.
National AMR research program and activities
National AMR Research programs
- Annual Call for RDI Projects ”Research Challenges” (AEI)
- Annual Call for Health Research Projects under the Health Research and Development Strategy (ISCIII)
- The Network Centre for Biomedical Research (CIBER) has created a new Programme for Infectious Diseases
- The Spanish Agency for Medicinal Products, under the Ministry of Health, is responsible for the AMR programme. The Ministry of Health has a new programme for infectious disease, including some aspects on AMR.
- Annual reports on surveillance information are published.
National AMR research calls
- No specific AMR research calls except for JPI-EC-AMR calls (ISCIII participated in all calls launched till now)
- National calls are bottom-up calls on life sciences (AEI) and Health Research (ISCIII)
Activities on AMR actions at national level
- Surveillance Lab Network for Resistant Microorganisms; December 2019
- Conference on the development of Antibiotic Resistance; March 2018
- Workshop on the Control of Antibiotics Use and Surveillance of Clinical Pathogens in Veterinary in Europe – Madrid 29-30 October 2018
- Awareness Day for Rational Use of Antibiotics; November 2018
- 1st Event of the Association for the Discovery of New Antibiotics in Spain (AD-ES); April 2018
- Knowledge sharing platform for researchers on AMR and antibiotics: Link to register: http://www.resistenciaantibioticos.es/en/user
National AMR action plans
- National Plan for Antimicrobial Resistance (2019-2021). The national plan is finishing in 2021 and a new plan is being developed.
- Framework Document for the Surveillance of Antimicrobial Resistante (Ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality, 2020)
- Strategic Action Plan to reduce the risk selection and dissemination of antibiotic resistance (Ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality, Spanish Agency of Medicines and Medical Devices, 2014)
Management Board representatives
- Tomás López-Peña, Instituto de Salud Carlos III
- Jesús M. Santz, Spanish National Research Agency (AEI)