Moldova is represented in JPIAMR by the National Agency for Research and Development (NARD).
NARD is a central public authority and is responsible for the implementation of research and innovation state policy, including research in health sector. The mission of the NARD is to promote excellence in science and innovation by developing national, bilateral and international co-operations through JPI, ERA-Nets COFUND etc., promoting the concepts of integration of Moldova in ERA, Smart Specialization, Open Science opportunities and serving BHO for the EURAXESS Programme, Moldovan Scientific Diaspora members with RTDI Sector of Moldova. NARD under National Program of Research and Innovation is making investments in research focused on health and wellbeing, including in AMR Surveillance and diagnoses of resistant pathogens. In Moldova, under the Ministry of Health Labour and Social Protection (MHLSP), 9 public research organizations are established in the AMR field that are engaged in infection prevention control and supporting national scientific research for Public Health policy development.
National AMR research program and activities
AMR Research program
The State Program research projects, with strategic priority under the Health-Strategic direction: Epidemiological surveillance – control and response measures, diagnosis and treatment of communicable diseases, entitled Studying the mechanisms of antimicrobial resistance in gram-negative bacilli in order to strengthen the national surveillance system, and Exploration of nosocomial infections in intensive care units and Development of new antibacterial preparations are being carried out in 2020-2023.
National AMR research calls
In 2019, as part of the Global Sewage Project, in partnership with the European Union Reference Laboratory for Antimicrobial Resistance (EURL-AMR) and 67 other countries, studies were done on monitoring the antimicrobial resistance in the environment. In 2020, the study is ongoing and the research will be expanded nationally.
Activities on AMR actions at national level
- Joint Intersectoral Press conference at the MoHLSP to raise awareness on AMR (2017, 2018)
- Medical conferences (2017, 2018, 2019)
- Set-up of national AMR surveillance system (2018)
- Participation in external quality control within the CAESAR network (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- AMR surveillance network meetings (2018,2019)
- Workshop for professionals (bacteriologists, epidemiologists, veterinarian) (2018,2019)
- Round table: “Impact and AMR costs” involving decision makers, academic society and practitioners (2018,2019)
- Master class: “Reducing the incidence of infections by hand hygiene” (2018)
- Open Door Day: “Information and data on antimicrobial resistance – evidence for action” was held at the AMR Reference Lab (2018).
- Activities for raising the level of awareness on AMR for the general population and professionals (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- TV talk-shows, interviews, video-conferences (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
National action plans
- A draft of the National Program for Surveillance and Control of Antimicrobial Resistance (2019-2028) developed based on the strategic objectives of the Global Antimicrobial Resistance Action Plan, with the support of WHO, is under examination by the Government.
Management Board representative
- Sveatoslav Postoroncă, National Agency for Research and Development Republic of Moldova
- Olga Burduniuc, National Agency for Research and Development Republic of Moldova