The three Joint Programming Initiatives (JPIs) on Water, Oceans and Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) are pleased to announce a joint transnational call for research and innovation projects on risks posed to human health and the environment by pollutants and pathogens present in the water resources.
The call AquaticPollutants will support research and innovation projects that establish integrated and cross-sectoral approaches for risk-management combining the research areas of contaminants of emerging concerns (CECs), pathogens and antimicrobial resistance. The whole water cycle, from the source through the river basins and eventually to the estuaries and oceans, has to be considered. The projected call budget is approximately 25 million Euro (co-funded by the European Commission).
There are still major risks associated with the occurrence of emerging contaminants, pathogens and antimicrobial resistant bacteria in our water bodies and oceans. To face these challenges in a comprehensive way and to develop multidisciplinary and practical solutions for the provision of safe drinking water and healthy aquatic environments, this Joint Transnational Call (JTC) aims to make the research communities in the freshwater, marine and the health sectors work together and create synergies for joint approaches.
- Measuring – Environmental behaviour of contaminants of emerging concern (CECs), pathogens and antimicrobial resistant bacteria in aquatic ecosystems
- Evaluating – Risk assessment and management of CECs, pathogens and antimicrobial resistant bacteria from aquatic ecosystems (inland and marine) to human health and environment
- Taking Actions – Strategies to reduce CECs, pathogens and antimicrobial resistant bacteria in aquatic ecosystems (inland and marine)
Information and application
Due to the high numbers of pre-proposals submitted and summer holiday season across Europe, the evaluation phase of the pre-proposals had to be prolonged. The guidelines for full-proposal submission and new timeline are now available (see below). The Submission platform is also now open.
- Call opening: 17 February 2020
- Deadline pre-proposals: 18 May 2020, 17.00 CET
- Invitation to submit full proposals: 19 October 2020
- Deadline full proposals: 23 November 2020
- Funding decision announced: March 2021
- Start of projects: 2021
- Project ends: 2024
This call is closed.
- AquaticPollutants call – Call text – updated 18 March 2020 (pdf). All specific information on the call AquaticPollutants.
- AquaticPollutants call – National regulations – updated 20 April 2020 (pdf)
- AquaticPollutants call – National contact points
Support for applicants
- Information Webinar for Applicants : 12 March 2020, 13 – 14.30, online. Click here for the webinar presentation: AquaticPollutants webinar presenation (pdf)
- AquaticPollutants call – Guidelines for pre-proposal submission (pdf)
- AquaticPollutants call – Guidelines for full-proposal submission (pdf)
- AquaticPollutants F&Q (pdf)
The AquaticPollutants Call Secretariat is hosted by Project Management Jülich.
Belgian Science Policy Office (BELSPO)
Fonds de la Recherche Scientifique (FNRS)
The Research Foundation – Flanders (FWO)
Conselho Nacional das Fundações Estaduais de Amparo à Pesquisa (CONFAP)
Research and Innovation Foundation (RIF)
Technologická Agentura České Republiky (TAČR)
Innovation Fund Denmark (IFD)
Eesti Teadusagentuur (ETAg)
Academy of Finland (AKA)
French National Research Agency (ANR)
The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)
General Secretariat for Research & Technology (GSRT)
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Ministry of Health – Chief Scientist Office (CSO-MOH)
Agenzia Regionale per la Protezione dell’Ambiente Regione Siciliana (A.R.P.A. Sicilia)
Ministero dell’Università e della Ricerca (MUR)
Ministry of Education and Science (IZM)
National Agency for Research and Development (NARD)
The Research Council of Norway (RCN)
National Centre for Research and Development (NCBR)
Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT, I.P.)
Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation Funding (UEFISCDI)
Scottish Enterprise (SCOTENT)
Water Research Commission (WRC)
Agencia Estatal de Investigación (AEI)
Instituto de Salud Carlos III (ISCIII)
Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning (FORMAS)
Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida)
Swedish Research Council (SRC)
Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST)
Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MHESR)
The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK)